If you haven’t been out to Village Creek State Park lately then you’re missing out! Amanda and the staff at VCSP have been working hard and their efforts really show. From participation in the JASON program and hosting The Eagle Lady, Doris Mager with S.O.A.R. and a Night Hike this past weekend, there have been plenty of offerings.
If you haven’t been able to join in the fun, here’s your chance to update your calendar with the latest news on goings-on for the coming months:
- March 5 – “March of the Mammals” Identify and enjoy our hairy neighbors! Learn what makes a mammal a mammal, and how you can identify the different families.
- March 12 – “Can I Eat That?” (9:30am) Some plants are edible, others are poisonous. What Big Thicket plants helped the original inhabitants survive, and which made them sick?
- March 19 – “Intro to Birding” Do you enjoy birds, but think that “birding” is just for insanely smart people with huge binoculars and fancy cameras? Learn how even you can become a birder!
- March 26 – “Wildflowers” Identify common wildflowers that you will see when hiking at Village Creek, then bring your camera and go find them!
Programs are at 10:00am unless otherwise noted, and are held in the Nature Center. Programs are free after standard park admission of $2 for ages 13+, children 12 and under are free. Call 409-755-7322 for details.
Spring Break Specials:
- Tuesday, March 8 – “Create a Critter!” This craft will allow you to get creative with nature! Create your own animal, then decide what it eats, where it lives, and how it is adapted to its environment.
- Thursday, March 10 – “Intro to GPS and Geocaching” Get the basics of using a GPS unit, then learn about the high tech treasure hunt. Go with a ranger on an optional trip into the park to find your first cache! You are welcome to bring your own GPS unit or borrow one of ours.
- Tuesday, March 15 – “Reading with a Ranger” Children from 9 months to 99 years old will enjoy story time with a natural twist.
- Thursday, March 17 – “Nature Hike Scavenger Hunt” Take a hike through the park. In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, we’re going to hunt some green… plants, frogs, turtles, you name it! Meet in the picnic area at the Loblolly trailhead.
Spring Break Specials are at 10:00am in the Nature Center, unless otherwise noted. Programs are free after standard park admission of $2 for ages 13+, children 12 and under are free. Call Amanda at 409-755-7322 for details.
Hope to see you there!